The first thing many brand marketers do when they’re trying to find the right influencers for their upcoming campaigns is the first thing many of us do when trying to find something. They search. As in Google.
Naturally, the query they often start with “top influencers in” whatever the industry is. And there they find listicles. Blog posts with a list of the top 10 influencers for this or the top 25 influencers for that.
The inexperienced marketer might even stop there and say, ‘Here are my top 10 targets.” Those that do fail before they ever get started.
Top Influencer Lists are not only useless, they’re misleading. We need to stop relying on them and even follow the lead of a few software companies out there and think about how we categorize influencers in all new ways.
I explain why in today’s commentary.
In the show I referred to several influencer top lists. Here’s a list of those mentioned:
- 20 Most Popular Travel Influencers – Longitude Design
- Top 150 Travel Influencers in 2021 – Amra & Elma
- 22 Travel Instagram Influencers to Follow in 2019 – Influencer Marketing Hub
- 7 of the Very Best Travel Influencers on Instagram You Need to Follow in 2021 – Luxury Lifestyle Magazine
- Top 10 U.S. Social Media Influencers in Travel & Tourism – Agility PR Solutions
I also mentioned several top travel influencers. Those are:
- Chris Burkard – @chrisburkard
- Kiersten Rich – @theblondeabroad
- Alyssa Ramos – @mylifesatravelmovie
- Divergent Travelers – @divergenttravel
- Heather Delaney Reese – @itsalovelylife
This episode of Winfluence – The Influence Marketing Podcast is brought to you by Tagger. It is the influence marketing software I’m using Cornett. They sponsor the show and provide us with their fantastic software to use.
In today’s episode, Meredith Jacobson from We Are Boosters talks about the depth of granularity one can use while finding the right influencers using Tagger.
Learn more at jason.online/tagger. Tagger is the new influencer marketing campaign software of choice for me. I hope it will be for you, too.
Order Winfluence now!
Winfluence – Reframing Influencer Marketing to Ignite Your Brand is available now in paperback, Kindle/eBook and audio book formats. Get it in the medium of your choice on Amazon or get a special discount on the paperback version of the book by clicking the button below, buying on the Entrepreneur Press bookstore and using the discount code FALLS20. That earns you 20% off the retail price. Read and learn why we’ve been backed into a corner to think influencer marketing means Instagram and YouTube and how reframing it to be “influence” marketing makes us smarter marketers.